Basic guidelines

• Plan ahead.wedding underwear
    If you’re planning to wear shapewear under your dress, you need to make sure you have it with you at your dress fitting! This will ensure that your alterations go as planned.
  • Size is key.
    It might be tempting to go a size smaller, but it’s crucial to get shapewear that fits properly, otherwise you’ll likely be quite uncomfortable (and no one wants that on their wedding day). The wrong size can also cause certain pieces to bunch or roll down – neither is a pleasant option!
  • Light is right.
    Though this probably seems obvious, it’s important to choose shapewear in white, cream or flesh tones if you’re wearing white on the big day. Black is sexy and easier to find, but save that for the wedding night.
  • Splurge or save?
    It’s probably best to splurge a little bit and spend for really good quality shapewear; this will help you find optimal comfort and smoothness on your big day. Furthermore, if the piece you’re choosing has boning, you’ll want to avoid plastic and spend for steel boning.

wedding lingerieFor a strapless dress, your number one concern is bust support. You don’t want to be tugging up your dress all day long, or worse yet, risk flashing your guests.

Consequently, bustiers work really well for supporting most bust sizes because they have a built-in bra and also cinch your waist. If your dress already has boning, however, a bustier won’t be particularly comfortable or useful.

If the bodice of your strapless dress is sheer, you may opt to have your seamstress sew in cups so you don’t have to wear a bra. Otherwise, a supportive bandeau-style strapless bra is another option to consider.

Mermaid dresses, like trumpet dresses or sheath silhouettes, are close fitting without much flare, so choosing the proper shapewear is more of a challenge. A seamless bustier or a bodysuit will support the bust, slim the waist and shape the hips. Another option is to pair a strapless bra with high waist control shorts (a little less slimming overall than a bustier or bodysuit, but still smooths the rear and thighs).

Ballgown

Many ballgowns and A-line dresses don’t really need shapewear, but they also give you the flexibility to choose from a wider variety of options. Since these silhouettes generally flare at the hips, you can primarily focus on shaping the waist and supporting the bust. Again, bustiers are a great choice.

Backless Dresses

Backless styles can be intimidating, but shapewear brands are coming up with new designs to flatter this silhouette all the time! Look for strapless, low back bodysuits, basques or bustiers, or opt for sewn-in cups so you can go sans bra.

Plunging Necklines

The trick with a plunging neckline is to support the bust without giving anything away! If you can’t find a deep plunging bra you like, there are also plunging bodysuits that offer other shaping benefits.

Comments  

0 #2 tS 2016-07-29 14:31
I used to enjoy trying different knickers to see which one fits best for a bridal outfit, until my wife told me to take off her wedding dress :P
0 #1 Gretta 2016-07-29 14:25
I also don't agree with wearing a corset under your wedding dress. Your wedding day is one that you want to remember but also enjoy. Your want to be able to dance and eat and just relax. A corset is a beautiful piece of lingerie but to my way of thinking, shapewear would be better suited for under your wedding gown.

Add comment